[R] multi-user engine

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Wed Apr 21 16:36:31 CEST 2004

Barry Rowlingson <B.Rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk> writes:

> A.J. Rossini wrote:
>> "zubin" <binabina at bellsouth.net> writes:
>>
>>>I am presently a SAS user and wanted to configure R to work in a multi-user
>>>enteprise environment.  Client - Server.  Where we have a strong LINUX
>>>server supporting about 10 statisticians with R.  Anyone have any backround
>>>or information they can share to help me get jump-started on setting up R in
>>> this environment?
>
>   Why can't you install R in the usual way on the server and give the
>   statisticians (there's only 10 of them, so its not much admin)
>   accounts on the server? They then login (using an SSH client) and
>   get graphics back via X-windows. Free SSH clients and X-windows
>   servers are available for all the usual platforms. Their filestore
>   would be on the server. I just don't see the advantage (and see
>   plenty of disadvantages) of complicating things with a client-server
>   framework where it might not be necessary.

Depends on the environment.  I can think of many good reasons for
wanting a client-server situation, where the solution you point out
would be a complete non-starter.  However, since client-server isn't
ready at this point without a great deal of work and pain, so it
(client-server) is pretty much a non-starter, and the solution you
point out is the only "get it done this month" solution that I know
of.

best,
-tony

--
rossini at u.washington.edu            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/
Biomedical and Health Informatics   University of Washington

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachme...{{dropped}}