[R] Size of R user base

Jan Goebel jgoebel at diw.de
Wed Apr 21 15:23:29 CEST 2004

Hi,

i also strongly recommend an active way for transmitting
such informations.

One possibility could be, to give the users "incentives"
for using a network connection within R.
Stata has a -- i guess -- widely used command, called
"net search", which is something like "help.search()",
but connecting to stata.com and searches also all the
user distributed program files (.ado).

If R had something similar, which searches all packages
available on CRAN, and not only the installed packages
one
a) could count the access to this service and
b) had a could starting point for questions like
   "is a function 'doing something' available for R".

just my 2 cents ...

jan

--
 Jan Goebel

 DIW Berlin
 German Socio-Economic Panel Study (GSOEP)
 Königin-Luise-Str. 5
 D-14195 Berlin -- Germany --
 phone: 49 30 89789-377