[R] regression and dw

Pfaff, Bernhard Bernhard.Pfaff at drkw.com
Mon Apr 19 10:02:34 CEST 2004

> > Dear R People:
> >
> > Suppose we have a regression model that we will call
> > y.lm
> >
> > We run the Durbin Watson test for autocorrelation
> > and we find that there is positive autocorrelation,
> > and phi = 0.72, say.
> >
> > What is our next step, please?
>
> Look at the residuals more closely, e.g. look at the acf.
>
> > Do we calculate the following
> > yprime_t = y_t - 0.72y_t-1,
> > x1prime_t = x1_t - 0.72x1_t-1,
> >
> > and so on, and re-fit the linear mode?

Hello Erin,

beside the points mentioned by Prof. Ripley, you might also want to consider
test for order of integration of y and x and if cointegration exists between
these variables. A high R2 and a low DW is often a hindsight for a spurious
relationship, which needs to be investigated further. There is the
contributed package 'urca' available. Incidentally, a package update will be
put on CRAN shortly. If you want to receive it now, pls. contact me offline
and name your OS (i.e. zip or tar.gz).

HTH,
Bernhard