[R] install.packages

Jim Lemon bitwrit at ozemail.com.au
Fri Apr 16 00:31:09 CEST 2004

I hope I will be pardoned for asking what may be a dumb question on this
thread. Recently I noticed that when I tried my established method of adding
a package to R (i.e. download the *.tar.gz file to a directory of similar
files and INSTALL), I was no longer able to do this. I did eventually find
the function install.packages() and it worked very nicely, thanks. However,
I'd like to know if it is still possible to download packages from CRAN or
other sites. For example, I run R on a little old laptop that has no Internet
connection whatever, and it will be a bit of a problem keeping it up to date.

Jim