[R] Masked help page

Christian Hennig fm3a004 at math.uni-hamburg.de
Fri Apr 16 11:42:37 CEST 2004

Hi list,

not really a problem to solve but a strange unwanted behavior (at least I
do not like it):

I'm loading
library(multiv)
to use sammon.
Later I load
library(MASS)
which tells me that sammon is masked now, because
there is also a MASS version of sammon.

Since I believe that the MASS version is at least as good as the multiv
version, I would also use the MASS version, but
help(sammon)
still gives the help page for multiv's sammon.
The MASS version runs, though (and gives an error if I call it like I
would call the multiv version with dimension called p instead of k).

Is it a general behavior that if a function is masked, the help page still
is the old one?

That would not be too user friendly...

Best,
Christian

> version
         _
platform i686-pc-linux-gnu
arch     i686
os       linux-gnu
system   i686, linux-gnu
status
major    1
minor    8.0
year     2003
month    10
day      08
language R

Christian Hennig
Fachbereich Mathematik-SPST/ZMS, Universitaet Hamburg
hennig at math.uni-hamburg.de, http://www.math.uni-hamburg.de/home/hennig/