[R] install.packages

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Apr 15 18:24:31 CEST 2004

"R. Heberto Ghezzo" <heberto.ghezzo at mcgill.ca> writes:

> Hello,
> I just downloaded RW1090. No problems. My thanks to everybody involved in the
> project. I work in Win98
> I updated my library, some problems with some files that were in the PACKAGES list
> but not in 1.9/ site, now all are.
> I tried to install "Zelig" from Harvard
> install.packages("Zelig",CRAN="http://gking.harvard.edu")
> this worked in 1.8.1 but now it appends "bin/windows/contrib/1.9" to the address
> and of course it can not find the file and aborts with error 404
> Is there a way around besides http'ing directly to harvard and getting the zip and
> unzipping it in /library?

Well, you can http to harvard, get it and use "Install from local zip
file", which will get it registered correctly.

And, basically, if Gary King wants to pretend that his site is a CRAN
clone with exactly one package, it's up to him to supply the requisite
1.9 dir. It's not a problem with install.packages() that it barfs if
it gets a CRAN argument that isn't a CRAN mirror.