[R] trend turning points

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Wed Apr 14 19:13:11 CEST 2004

I don't know about time series data, but if the "errors" are independent
(and preferably constant variance), wouldn't this amounts to estimating
zeroes in the first derivative of the trend?  I believe several packages for
smoothing (e.g., KernSmooth and locfit) can estimate derivatives.  J. S.
Marron's SiZer actually tests for significance of the zeroes, but that has
not been implemented in R, AFAIK.  Marron's web site has Matlab code for it.

Andy