[R] Re: [BioC] Makefile for installing all available packages

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Wed Apr 14 18:41:24 CEST 2004

Jonathan Baron <baron at psych.upenn.edu> writes:

> On 04/14/04 11:42, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>>On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 17:07:42 +0200, Kasper Daniel Hansen
>><k.hansen at biostat.ku.dk> wrote :
>>>You do not find it a bit overkill to install all of CRAN per default?
>>
>>I can see two situations where this would be desirable:
>>
>>On a laptop or other machine that is often not connected to the net:
>>install everything just in case you might want something and can't go
>>to CRAN for it.
>>
>>In a public lab where users have limited ability to install packages,
>>it's good to have them all there.
>
> A third reason:  You run a search site where you want people to
> be able to search all the help files, such as the one at the end
> of my sig.
>
> May 1, after updating to R-1.9, I plan to try this script to see
> if it knows not to update files that haven't changed, and add
> some other odds and ends that I have installed.

On a single R installation, an alternative R function to accomplish
something similar is:

installNewCRANPackages <- function() {
  ## (C) A.J. Rossini, 2002--2004
  test2 <-  packageStatus()$avail["Status"]
  install.packages(row.names(test2)[which(test2$Status=="not installed")])
}

which gratuitiously installs all new packages whether you want them or
not.

best,
-tony

--
rossini at u.washington.edu            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/
Biomedical and Health Informatics   University of Washington

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachme...{{dropped}}