[R] Non-Linear Regression Problem

WilDscOp wildscop at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 14 14:21:04 CEST 2004

Dear all,

	I was wondering if there is any way i could do a "Grid Search" on a
parameter space using R (as SAS 6.12 and higher can do it) to start the
Newton-Gauss Linearization least squares method when i have NO prior
information about the parameter.
W. N. Venables and B. D. Ripley (2002) "Modern Applied Statistics with S",
4 th ed., page 216-7  has a topic "Self-starting non-linear regressions"
using negexp.SSival - but i can not solve my hypothetical problem using
that - my problem is :

Y = EXP(-(THETA * t)) with data below for estimating THETA:

t    	Y
1	0.80
4 	0.45
16 	0.04

Whatever i could do, is in http://www.angelfire.com/ab5/get5/nonlinear.PDF

Any response / help / comment / suggestion / idea / web-link / replies will
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Mohammad Ehsanul Karim <wildscop at yahoo.com>
Institute of Statistical Research and Training
University of Dhaka, Dhaka- 1000, Bangladesh