[R] from .csv file to a pca plot

Petr Pikal petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Tue Apr 13 13:55:02 CEST 2004

Hallo

On 13 Apr 2004 at 13:25, Dansen, Ing. M.C. wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm just a beginner, who has just encountered a problem!
>
> 1. -	I wanted to load a csv file with names in the rows (1st column)
>     and and numbers in the 2nd til 10th column. The file contains
> names in the headers.
>
>    - 	I used;  a <- as.matrix(read.table("filename", sep=',",
> row.names=1, header=TRUE)

maybe read.csv("filename") will do the same without need for other
specifications.

Why do you convert it to matrix? What is wrong with data frame?

> Question;	1 -	I would like to select the first four columns
a[1:4,]

>   2 -	and execute a pca(plot) from the mva package on
> those four columns

go through examples in mva

>   3 -	how can I set the data type eg(string, integer,
> double) separate for each column

During loading process you can use colClasses argument to read.csv or
read.table.

Or you can change the column type by as.xxxxxxx statement

> Can anyone help me out, Help!
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Marinus

Cheers