[R] nlme on Windows 2000 (v1.8.1)

Duncan Murdoch dmurdoch at pair.com
Fri Apr 9 13:37:22 CEST 2004

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 08:03:56 -0400, you wrote:

>If I use Rterm, I can run analyses with NLME to my heart's content. But
>when I run Rgui, I encounter a floating point exception.

I agree with Prof Ripley: I'd suspect video (or other) drivers messing
up the floating point control word.

Identifying the exact cause is quite hard, but you can probably
confirm this by rebooting in "safe mode" (i.e. with minimal drivers
loaded).  You do this by hitting F8 during the boot sequence.  R can
run fine in safe mode; if you don't get the error, then it's pretty
clearly one of the drivers that you usually load that is causing the
trouble.  Figuring out which one won't be easy...

Duncan Murdoch