[R] socket clusters on snow dies easily

Luke Tierney luke at stat.uiowa.edu
Thu Apr 8 18:18:43 CEST 2004

If you absolutely have to use the socket approach you will probably
have to track down the particular reason for this failure in your
environment by looking at what is going on under the hood and checking
the pieces.  The master sets up a server socket, the slave noted
connect to that socket, and for some reason the first read on that
connection seems to be failing.  It could be a timing issues--you may
need to adjust socket timeouts, it could be a permission or firewall
issue; hard to tell without experimenting.

You are probably better off using the PVM version if at all possible.
Overall it more solid than the socket version and likely to have fewer
issues.

Best,

luke