[R] R on MacOS X

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Thu Apr 8 17:49:42 CEST 2004

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Peter Dalgaard wrote:

> Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> writes:
>
> >     Richard> a designated sysadmin, which I'm not.  Is there any
> >     Richard> alternative to downloading a source distribution
> >     Richard> and doing the classic ./configure;make;make install
> >     Richard> waltz?
> >
> > yes, there's always been.
> > You have installed the  pre-compiled aka binary version for Mac;
> > instead get the source -- and actually make sure you get the
> > source of "R 1.9.0 beta" since you'll be installing from the
> > source, and also because there are substantial Mac specific
> > enhancements there.
>
> Wasn't that what he was trying to avoid? Excellent answer still... ;-)

It's a less helpful answer than usual.  You can't compile R without
downloading and installing g77, and I think the binary distribution of
that also wants to go somewhere that needs administrator permission.

I believe, though I haven't yet tried, that the 1.9.0 setup will be
better.  I think you can put the R Framework in ~/Library/Frameworks and
then put R.app anywhere.

	-thomas