[R] Re: [R-gui] Editor in R

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed Apr 7 22:44:02 CEST 2004

Bob Cain <arcane at arcanemethods.com> writes:

> I'm on a PC and have VIM, a VI clone that I love.  Is it
> possible and relatively easy to replace the Emacs editor
> with one like that which you already have?

Depends on what for. There are R commands that involve calling up an
editor on a file and getting a modified file back (fix(myfun) e.g.).
That editor is completely customizable by options(editor=....). On
Unix-alikes the default is your $EDITOR setting and on Windows I
believe it is Notepad.

However, it is possible to wire up Emacs so that R runs in one of its
text buffers and you can can easily send blocks of code to that
process. This can be difficult to clone with other editors, but AFAIR
WinEdt can do something similar. Wouldn't know about Vim.