[R] GAM with Locfit components

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Mon Apr 5 14:32:00 CEST 2004

Loader's book is referring to the gam() function in S-plus (or S from Bell
Labs), not the one in mgcv.  They are very different things.  I don't know
if it's possible to implement local regression type smoothers (or something
other than splines) in gam() in mgcv, but even if it's possible, the one in
locfit won't work without quite a bit of work, I'd imagine.

Andy