[R] gray background on jpegs using dev.print()

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Apr 1 19:18:33 CEST 2004

> par(bg="white")
> plot(1:10)
> dev.print(jpeg, width=600, height=600)

gives a white background on the jpeg copy.  Without the first line it is a
transparent background, and the default matte for JPEGS is grey74, so the
viewer displays it as transparent over a grey matte.

BTW, John Muller has given an address that does not accept email without
jumping through loops replying to HTML mail.  Can we please add to the
Posting Guide the requirement that a usable return address is supplied?

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk