[R] nls function

Andrew Robinson andrewr at uidaho.edu
Thu Apr 1 18:12:56 CEST 2004

Hi Bill,

I've just spent a few months trying to fit a model to a dataset, and it's not
easy.  However, in my case, what appears to be recalcitrance on R's part
actually turns out to be well-founded warnings that the structure of the
model and the data are not permitting a clean, unambiguous fit.

I warmly recommend the Bates and Watts book on non-linear regression analysis,
and also Venables and Ripley MASS, with especial reference to the online
complements.

My strategy to learn more about my problem was: increase "tol" and decrease
minFactor until I get a fit, and then examine the intrinsic and parameter
curvatures using the rms.curv() function in the MASS package.  It showed
quite clearly that there was a real problem with the parameterization of the
model.  Of course, using that particular fit was out of the question.

I recommend against trying another tool: instead, learn more about this one
and why it's behaving in that way.  Good luck.

Andrew