[R] fitdistr, mle's and gamma distribution

Lourens Olivier Walters lwalters at cs.uct.ac.za
Tue Sep 30 21:39:40 CEST 2003

Dear R Users,

I am trying to obtain a best-fit analytic distribution for a dataset
with 11535459 entries. The data range in value from 1 to 300000000. I
use: fitdistr(data, "gamma") to obtain mle's for the parameters.

I get the following error:

Error in optim(start, mylogfn, x = x, hessian = TRUE, ...) :
        non-finite finite-difference value [1]

And the following warnings:

NaNs produced in: dgamma(x, shape, scale, log)

I have the same problem with the exponential distribution, but the
lognormal and weibull distributions don't have this problem.

I suspect the problem has to do with:

"It means that in computing derivatives by finite differencing, one
of the values is NA, +Inf or -Inf. Put some print values in
your objective function and find out why it is giving a non-finite
value." - quote by Prof Ripley from r-help

as from the warnings it is clear that some of the values obtained during
maximum likelihood computations are NaN. I cannot however print values
of the objective function, as in my case it is dgamma which is called by
fitdistr, over which I don't have control.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

Lourens

--
Lourens Olivier Walters <lwalters at cs.uct.ac.za>
Computer Science Masters Student