[R] debugging R

Francisco J Molina fjmolina at ams.ucsc.edu
Tue Sep 30 08:00:56 CEST 2003

To debug R "from within Xemacs" I have tried two different things:

C-u M-x R RET - d SPC gdb RET to start an inferior R process with arguments
@option{-d gdb}

This is the way described in the official documentation of R.

and also

M-x R and then start GUD (M-x gdb) giving the R binary (using its full path
name: /usr/bin/R ) as the program to debug. Use the program @command{ps} to find the
process number of the currently running R process then use the attach
command in gdb to attach it to that process.

I have had problems with the last way: R freezes.

Has anyone been succesfull in debugging R in last way?

Thank you.