[R] checking generic/method consistency

Paul Gilbert pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca
Fri Sep 26 19:07:45 CEST 2003

Simon Fear wrote:

>>From: Henrik Bengtsson [mailto:hb at maths.lth.se]
>><snip>
>>

>>... the intention
>>is to find a style that avoid problems like yours, where it says that
>>you should avoid periods in function names except if you use it for S3
>>class methods. Feedback is appreciated.

<snip>

>So, I don't see universal support for  your .* proposal ... and I'm
>certainly not going to rewrite my old code...

Being a recent convert to this dot-less naming convention let me say
that, initially it might be best to think of it as very good advice for
new code. However,  having just rewritten my old code for exactly this
reason, it seems to be worthwhile and not as difficult as you might think.

Paul Gilbert