[R] Tutorial docs: Vignettes! {was "searching R-help .."}

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Thu Sep 25 20:59:17 CEST 2003

Dear Duncan,

Thanks for pointing this out -- I wasn't aware of it.

I wonder whether it wouldn't be helpful in addition to make the links to
such documents available through library(help=<package>) and
help(package=<package>) as well, but I guess that how this should be done
requires more thought.

Regards,
  John

At 01:49 PM 9/25/2003 -0400, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 12:10:28 -0400, John Fox <jfox at mcmaster.ca> wrote
>:
>
> >Dear Martin
> >
> >At 04:11 PM 9/25/2003 +0200, Martin Maechler wrote:
> >
> >. . .
> >
> >>And many more packages have other *.pdf documents in their installed
> >>./doc/ directories.  However, currently this is not shown
> >>in library(help = <package>)
> >>--- nor anywhere on CRAN's package-source page (which may be
> >>worth improving ...)
> >
> >I'll second this motion -- to provide convenient access to whatever pdf
> >file are in a packages's doc directory.
>
>These do get links in the HTML help, saying (at the top of the listing
>for the package)
>
>*Accompanying documentation* is available in the subdirectory "doc" of
>the installed package.
>
>The hyperlink (marked with asterisks) takes me to a directory listing
>in a case I'm looking at now.
>
>Duncan Murdoch

John Fox
Department of Sociology