[R] R Production Performance

Zitan Broth zitan at mediasculpt.net
Thu Sep 25 23:07:17 CEST 2003

Hi Paul,

Thanks greatly for your message.

----- Original Message -----
> Below is the test I ran awhile back on invoking R as a system call.  It
> might be faster if you had a c-extension to R but before I went that route
> would want to know 1) roughly how fast Python and Perl are in returning
> results with their c-bindings/embedded stuff/dcom stuff, 2) whether R can
be
> run as a daemon process so you don't incur start up costs, and 3) whether
> can act as a math server in the sense that it will fork children or
threads
> as multiple users establish sessions with it.  I agree it would be nice to
> have a better interface to R than via a system call.

Yeah I agree with what you are saying here for sure.  I would like to run R
as a daemon and perhaps 'process manage' it to ensure that only one request
is passed at a time.  If you are incur even a couple fo seconds from using
file IO then for the enterprise a different approach needs to be taken.
Perhaps using swig or directly from a database.

Awesome,
Z.