[R] subsetting matrix replacement oddities

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Thu Sep 18 02:41:09 CEST 2003

A subset of a data.frame is still a data.frame.  A data.frame is
actually a list with additional attributes.  As far as I know, your
solution, "as.matrix", is an appropriate tool to convert a data.frame to
a matrix.  Caution may be appropropriate, however, because if the
data.frame includes anything not numeric, the result may not be numeric,
and the result is inconsistent between S-Plus 6.1 and R 1.7.1.  Consider
the following:

S-PLUS 6.1:

 > DF <- data.frame(a = 1:2, b = letters[1:2])
 > DF2 <- data.frame(c = TRUE)
 > DF3 <- data.frame(c = TRUE, d = 2)
 > sapply(DF, class)
         a        b