[R] package documentation

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Sep 16 13:44:21 CEST 2003

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Vito Muggeo wrote:

> I writing my first package and everything seems to work (at least up to now)
>
> However when I try to build documentation (.dvi or .pdf), using
> Rcmd Rd2dvi.sh --pdf mypack.Rd
> I get a mypack.pdf whose title is
> "R documentation of mypack.Rd" instead of
> "The mypack package"
> as it should be, is it right?

It is right, rather than you: it did as you asked and not as you wanted.

> Also Version, Title, ....License,  namely info from the DESCRIPTION file,
> are missing on the first page.
>
> Where is the problem?

  gannet% R CMD Rd2dvi --help
  Usage: R CMD Rd2dvi [options] files

  Generate DVI (or PDF) output from the Rd sources specified by files, by
  either giving the paths to the files, or the path to a directory with
  the sources of a package.

You haven't called this with the option to give what you expected.  Note
what follows the `or'.  That will give Package 'mypack' as the title.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk