[R] what does this error mean?

szhan@uoguelph.ca szhan at uoguelph.ca
Sat Sep 13 20:45:47 CEST 2003

Dear R-users:
I am runing R 1.6.2 with Windows XP. I try to calculate Pearson correlation
and Spearman correlation of any pairwise columns of 8000 x 80 data matrix with
missing values and randomize the matix 1000 times and calculate this two
correlations again. The code bellow for Pearson is working fine but for
Spearman got the error bellow for randomized data matrix and R console is stop
working:

cor (raw2[,i], raw2[,j], use="complete.obs")
cor.test (raw2[,i], raw2[,j],  method="spearman", na.action = "na.omit")
$estimate

Error in cor.test.default(raw2[, i], raw2[, j], method = "spearman", na.action
= "na.omit") :
        not enough finite observations
In addition: There were 50 or more warnings (use warnings() to see the first
50)

What does the Error mean? How to fix it?
Any suggestion are highly appreciated?
Josh