[R] R book

Jason Turner jasont at indigoindustrial.co.nz
Thu Sep 11 20:37:39 CEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 03:09, Arne.Muller at aventis.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'd be interested in your opinions of the book
>
> "Introductory Statistics with R" by Peter Dalgaard
>
> Does it well describe the R object concept, the language itself and
> statistical aspects (I am not a statistician)?

The title of the book is accurate.  It's concerned mostly with
introducing statistics gently, and is very kind to non-statisticians.
It teaches enough R to perform the statistics it teaches (table of
contents should be available online from your favorite online
bookstore), but doesn't get deeply into the language itself.

I find it a good book for a gentle introduction; once you're past the
stage of needing it, it's a good "loaner" to coleagues who don't yet use
R.  "Here, borrow this for a week, and if you find it helps, buy a
copy".

After graduating from this book, the next sensible purchase is "Modern
Applied Statistics with S" (Venables and Ripley).

Cheers

Jason
--
Indigo Industrial Controls Ltd.