[R] Flipping a heatmap

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Sep 11 14:43:21 CEST 2003

    AndyL> My feeling is that heatmap is not the right thing to
    AndyL> use on a correlation matrix.
definitely.

    AndyL> The heatmap function expects a data matrix, and does
    AndyL> a two-way clustering of cases and variables.  It
    AndyL> tries to rearrange the rows and columns so that
    AndyL> similar colors are closer together.  This obviously
    AndyL> will not work for a correlation matrix.  (The
    AndyL> rearrangement is one of several enhancements that
    AndyL> Robert/Martin added to my original attempt.)

    AndyL> If you really want to do it, you may try to find my
    AndyL> original naive version of the heatmap function, which
    AndyL> I posted to the Bioconductor mailing list earlier
    AndyL> this year.  That does not do any rearragement.

Thank you, Andy.
Further note that the upcoming version of R will also allow the
option of *not* doing any reordering.

But even then, heatmap() is not quite appropriate for
correlation matrices.

    AndyL> HTH,
    AndyL> Andy