[R] No joy installing R with shared libs

Laurent Faisnel laurent.faisnel at ariase.com
Tue Sep 9 12:47:32 CEST 2003

 >> Can some kind soul please give me a fool proof recipe for building R
 >> and RSPython so that it actually works?

 > I don't have a recipe, but one thought to help debug the process:  Try
 > installing RPy [1].  RPy also provides access to R via Python and uses
 > the libR.so library.  If you can install and "import rpy" without
 > problem then it must be an issue with RSPython.

Hi,

I had problems of the same kind recently and finally gave up.
I tried to install Rpy without success, errors with undetected libraries
occured while I was making the "import rpy" from python (especially with
libblas).
Since I was not sure R was correctly configured I downloaded the latest
version R-1.7.1 and tried to install it with R-enable-shared option. I
could not get out of numerous errors.
Please tell me whether the problem you had calling RSPython is solved
after installing RPy (if it was possible to install it).
Good luck.

Laurent