[R] Probit and optim in R

Sundar Dorai-Raj sundar.dorai-raj at pdf.com
Mon Sep 8 23:10:01 CEST 2003

Luke Keele wrote:
> I have had some weird results using the optim() function.  I wrote a
> probit likelihood and wanted to run it with optim() with simulated
> data.  I did not include a gradient at first and found that optim()
> would not even iterate using BFGS and would only occasionally work
> using SANN.  I programmed in the gradient and it iterates fine but the
> estimates it returns are wrong.  The simulated data work fine when I
> use them in the glm function in R.  And even stranger the function
> seems to work fine with real data.  There must be some programming
> quirk that I have overlooked.  My code is attached if anyone wants to
> take a look.  I'd like to be able to make it work without the gradient
> if possible.  Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am completely
> stumped at this point.
>
> Luke Keele
> Dept of Political Science
> UNC-Chapel Hill

When I tried this, I was getting NaN for the likelihood because phi came
out to be 1 or 0 probability in some cases. Thus log(phi) or log(1-phi)
returns a value optim doesn't like. To avoid this problem, use
pnorm(..., log.p = TRUE) to get the log of the probability (which is
what you need anyway) in your likelihood function:

   #Define Likelihood
   llik.probit <- function(par, X, Y){
     Y <- as.matrix(y)
     X <- as.matrix(x)
     phi <- pnorm(ifelse(Y == 0, -1, 1) * X%*%par, log.p = TRUE)
     -sum(phi)
   }

-sd