[R] X11 not available

Jose Quesada quesadaj at psych.colorado.edu
Mon Sep 8 03:18:47 CEST 2003

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 20:44:25 -0500, Marc Schwartz
<MSchwartz at MedAnalytics.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2003-09-06 at 17:52, Jose Quesada wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> After compiling R-1.7.1 on a P4 running a default install of redHat 9
>> (which of course has X11), I get the following error:
>> > x11()
>> Error in x11() : X11 is not available
>>
>> This is surprising, because in ./configure I gave:
>>
>> ./configure \
>> --enable-R-shlib \
>> --with-x \
>> --with-lapack \
>> --with-gnome
>>
>> Any idea why this is happening? It also occurs if i install the rpm from
>> CRAN...
>> Thanks a lot in advance,
>> -Jose
>

> Jose,
>
> Make sure that you have installed the XFree86 Development RPM from the
> RH CDs.
>
> Open a console and type:
>
> rpm -qa | grep XFree86-devel
>
> You should get:
>
> XFree86-devel-4.3.0-2
>
> If you do not, you will need to install the XFree86 development RPM from
> the RH CD's or remove the version of R you compiled and re-install using
> the pre-compiled RPM that Martyn has on CRAN.
>
> In order to compile the application from source, you need the 'devel'
> libraries and headers installed on your system.
>
> HTH,
>
> Marc Schwartz

Thanks Marc,

That worked fine. A bunch of dependencies were detected when trying to
install XFree86-devel-4.3.0-2. I tried to solve them, and installed some
newer versions exisiting libraries, concretely:
XFree86-devel-4.3.0-25.i386.rpm
XFree86-libs-4.3-5mdk.i586.rpm
XFree86-libs-4.3.0-2.i386.rpm
XFree86-libs-4.3.0-25.i386.rpm
XFree86-libs-data-4.3.0
fontconfig-2.2.1-6mdk.i586.rpm
fontconfig-devel-2.2.1-4.i386.rpm
freetype-2.1.4-4.1.i386.rpm
freetype-devel-2.1.4-4.1.i386.rpm

Some dependencies were recursive (A needed B installed, B needed A to be
installed), so I had to run rpm --nodeps (which is not a good practice).
After an uninstall and reinstall fest, I have R working with Xwindows...
but no other program can find X anymore :|. I still prefer that to having
R with no X11, but if you have any advice to reinstall the newer XFree
+ devel libraries in a clean way, without breaking dependencies, please
let me know!

Thanks a lot again,
-Jose

--
Jose Quesada, PhD.

quesadaj at psych.colorado.edu             Research associate
http://lsa.colorado.edu/~quesadaj       Institute of Cognitive Science
					University of Colorado (Boulder)
Muenzinger psychology building          Phone:303 492 1522
office D447A						Fax:  303 492 7177
Campus Box 344
University of Colorado at Boulder
Boulder, CO 80309-0344