[R] split.screen problem and segments in figure margin

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Sat Sep 6 17:01:31 CEST 2003

Unternährer Thomas, uth wrote:
> hi,
>
> two questions...
>
> 1. what happens with points()?
>     after the split.screen function points() start not at x = 1 (at x = - something)
>
> graphics.off()
> x11()
> split.screen(c(3, 1))
> split.screen(c(2, 1), 1)
>
> screen(3)
> plot(dat, type = "n")
> screen(4)
> plot(dat, type = "n")
> screen(2)
> plot(dat, type = "n")
>
> dat <- rnorm(1000)
>
> for (i in 1:length(dat)){
>   screen(3)
>   points(i, dat[i])
>   screen(4)
>   points(i, dat[i])
>   screen(2)
>   points(i, dat[i])
> }
>
> close.screen(all = TRUE)
>
> I was searching the mail-archives and found the same question but no answers.
> Can somebody help me?

This is a bug, already submitted as bug report PR#2069.
There are a couple of other unfixed bugs related to split.screen(), so
I'd recommend to use layout() or par(mfrow = ..) in your case, or even
better: consider to contribute a bugfix.

> 2. Can I draw segments() in the figure margin (not in the plot region).... or can I split my axis(2,...) in 3 with a gap between them?

You can by setting par(xpd = TRUE). See ?par for details.

Uwe Ligges