[R] Putting regression lines on SPLOM

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan at stat.wisc.edu
Fri Sep 5 04:55:54 CEST 2003

On Thursday 04 September 2003 19:52, Ted Harding wrote:
> Thanks, Deepayan!
> However, for me this has deepened the mystery (I don't really
> understand in detail how lattice graphics works anyway!).
>
> To clarify: The variables X,Y,Z,W in DF have some zero values,
> and otherwise are positive. For U,V in X,Y,Z,W I plot log(1+V)
> against log(1+U) for all the points. But I regress log(V) on
> log(U) using only those points where both U and V are positive
> (for these data the difference between log(U) and log(1+U) is
> small when U>0, and has little effect on the plot; but I want
> the regression to be as stated). Can this be incorporated into
> the framework you suggest below?

Sure. The only lattice/trellis 'style' issue relevant here is that the panel
function is supposed to work with the x and y vectors supplied to it (and is
not designed to easily access any extraneous information) --- other than
that, it's as flexible as R allows you to be.

In this case, things are slightly complicated by the fact that axis limits
cannot be controlled in splom except as determined by the range of the data
supplied. This means the data frame you supply has to be in the log(1+U)
form, and the regression framed accordingly. So,

splom(log(1 + DF),
      panel = function(x, y, ...) {
          panel.xyplot(x, y, ...)
          ok <- (x > 0) & (y > 0)
          fm <- lm(  log(exp(y[ok]) - 1) ~  log(exp(x[ok]) - 1) )
          panel.abline(fm, ...)
      })

Does this give you what you want ?

If it makes more sense, I can send you a modified panel.pairs which would
allow something like

splom(DF,
      prepanel.limits = function(x) extend.limits(range(log(1 + x))),
      panel = function(x, y, ...) {
          panel.xyplot(log(1 + x), log(1 + y), ...)
          ok <- (x > 0) & (y > 0)
          fm <- lm(  log(y[ok]) ~  log(x[ok]) )
          panel.abline(fm, ...)
      })