[R]: RODBC column length>255

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Sep 4 18:39:35 CEST 2003

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 04:10:12PM +0100, Wayne Jones wrote:
> I am using the RODBC functionality to query a database. I am trying to read
> in a columns of strings which have a character field lengths greater than
> 255.
> The data.frame that I recieve back from the RODBC query only contains the
> first 255 characters (the rest having been truncated).
>
> Any help on how to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

You may get lucky by simply upgrading your RODBC package. I had the same
problem, wrote a crude patch, sent it to Brian Ripley who then replaced it
with something much better. As usual :)

That was around RODBC_1.0-1, current is 1.0-4. Give it a try. Works for me
with text of up to 8 or 9k stored in a single column.

Hth, Dirk

--
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
                                                -- Groucho Marx