[R] R on Linux/Opteron?

Jasjeet S. Sekhon jasjeet_sekhon at harvard.edu
Thu Sep 4 01:56:04 CEST 2003

I use R on a dual Opteron running SuSE Enterprise version 8 (amd-64).
It compiles without complaint using gcc-3.3 (64bit)---all of the tests
are successful and my personal test code performs well.  The
performance is rather good.  I could NOT get R to compile using the
Portland Group compilers.

Doing realistic benchmarks is very hard.  But in production the
machine is *much* nicer to work with than any Intel machine I've
worked on (for a similar price---i.e., excluding Itaniums).  The
Opteron is made to be a server chip and this really shows in server
related tasks, such as multiple processes and process which require a
lot of RAM or do a lot of I/O.

Cheers,
Jas.

Jasjeet S. Sekhon