[R] read.table: check.names arg - feature request

Vadim Ogranovich vograno at evafunds.com
Wed Sep 3 23:29:25 CEST 2003

Hi,

I thought it would be convenient if the check.names argument to read.table, which currently can only be TRUE/FALSE, could take a function value as well. If the function is supplied it should be used instead of the default make.names.

Here is an example where it can come in handy. I tend to keep my data in coma-separated files with a header line. The header line is prefixed with a comment sign '#' to simplify identification of these lines. Now when I read.table the files the '#' is converted to '.' while I want it to be discarded.

Thanks,
Vadim

P.S. I don't know if r-help is the right place for feature requests. If it's not please let me know where the right one is.