[R] constrained nonlinear optimisation in R?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri Oct 31 18:10:49 CET 2003

      Other alternatives to the R library for quadratic programming:

      1.  What are the nature of your constraints?  "optim" will
optimize a function with optional box constraints.  "constrOptim" will
optimize a function subject to linear inequality constraints.

      2.  If you want to estimate the p[i]'s, i = 1, ..., k, I would
recommend a multivariate logistic transformation to (k-1) unconstrained
variables.  I have had serious difficulties with constrained optimizers
testing values outside the constraints and then stopping because the
objective function misbehaved.  I don't know if "optim" does this, but I
don't even try constrained optimization if I can find a sensible,
unconstrained parameterization.  Often, confidence regions, etc., are
better behaved in the unconstrained space as well.

hope this helps.  spencer graves