[R] Transformed predictor in linear model

Francisco Vergara gerifalte28 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 30 20:10:23 CET 2003

Hi

I fitted a mixed model with several categorical and continuous fixed
variables and 3 nested random intercepts, using a transformation of the
predictor y = log(y+1) and I used the defaults contrast treatment and
contrast polynomial.

The resulting coefficients are in log units meaning that the difference
between the categorical (Factor) variables builted by Contr.treatment is
expressed on log values but to retransform them to actual (y) values is not
as straight forward as to exp(beta)-1.  I am sure that this is a problem
that you guys face every day but I can't find an easy way around this. The
easiest way to go is to report the betas in transformed values but this is
not very useful for the practical purposes of the study.

Any comments??