[R] R performance on Unix

Paul Gilbert pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca
Wed Oct 29 15:28:58 CET 2003

morozov wrote:

>Hi
>I'm observing a huge difference in the performance speed of R on Windows and
>Unix, even though I know that my Unix machine is much more powerful than my
>Win machine.

I've had this experience on a Unix machine that I thought was much more
powerful than my Windows machine. On closer examination it seems the
hardware was better at multitasking, but definitely not faster on single
processes, so you might want to be careful about the part you think you
know. I haven't had this experience running Windows and Linux on the
same machine, but even then there are an enormous number of variable in
the way you build R.

Paul Gilbert