[R] \mathcal symbols in R?

Brett Presnell presnell at stat.ufl.edu
Tue Oct 28 13:29:58 CET 2003

Paul Murrell writes:

> Michael Grottke wrote:
> >
> > Some time ago, I discovered the possibility of using mathematical
> > symbols for axis labels etc. In order ensure consistency between text
> > and graphics of some paper, I would like to include the calligraphic H
> > (obtained in LaTeX via \mathcal{H}) in several diagrams. Is there any
> > way to do so? Is it in general possible to use further mathematical
> > fonts like \mathbb and \mathbf in R?

If you really want to match the latex fonts exactly, you might want to
try psfrag.sty.  I used to use it regularly when putting math in S
figures was more trouble than it is now with R, and it worked very
well.  My approach was to use "meaningful" text strings in the S
graphic, so that the graphic was useful on it's own (outside of the
latex document), and then substitute for those strings using psfrag in
the latex document.

--
Brett Presnell
Department of Statistics

"We don't think that the popularity of an error makes it the truth."
   -- Richard Stallman