[R] Variance-covariance matrix for beta hat and b hat from lme

Haifeng (Kevin) Xie H.F.Xie at westminster.ac.uk
Sun Oct 26 02:49:10 CET 2003

Dear Prof. Bates,

Many thanks for your reply. I think I will resolve to manually reading off
the necessary information from the summary report produced by summary.lme
and calculate the variance-covariance matrix based on expressions given in
Laird & Ware (1982) and Henderson (1975). In particular I will make use of
the result that the covariance between beta hat and b_i hat's are zero, and
covariance between b_i hat's themselves are zero as well, i.e. the matrix
cov(beta hat, b hat) is block diagonal, where b hat = [b_1 hat; b_2 hat;
...; b_m hat]' , m is the number of groups.

Reference
Laird, N. M. and J. H. Ware (1982).  Random-effects models for longitudinal
data.  Biometrics 38, 963-974.
Henderson, C. R. (1975).  Best linear unbiased estimation and prediction
under a selection model.  Biometrics 31, 423-447.

Many thanks again.

Haifeng Xie
Research Student
University of Westminster