[R] what's going on here with substitute() ?

Tony Plate tplate at blackmesacapital.com
Fri Oct 24 17:42:55 CEST 2003

[resent the next day, after not appearing on the list]

Peter, thank you for the explanation.  This is indeed what is happening.

Might I suggest the following passage for inclusion in the help page for
"function", and possibly also "body", in the DETAILS or WARNING section:

"Note that the text of the original function definition is saved as an
attribute "source" on the function, and this is printed out when the
function is printed.  Hence, if the function body is changed in some way
other than by assigning a value via body() (which removes the "source"
attribute), the printed form of the function may not be the same as the
actual function body."

Something along these lines could also go in the help for "eval", though if
it were only there it might be very difficult to find if one were trying to
look up puzzling behavior of a function.

Here is a transcript that shows what is happening, with another suggestion
following it.

 > eval(substitute(this.is.R <- function() X,
list(X=!is.null(options("CRAN")[[1]]))))
 > this.is.R
function() X
 > body(this.is.R)
[1] TRUE
 > attributes(this.is.R)
$source
[1] "function() X"
 > attributes(this.is.R) <- NULL
 > this.is.R
function ()
TRUE
 > # the "source" attribute comes from function definition:
 > attributes(function() X)
$source
[1] "function() X"
 > # and seems to be added by "eval":
 > attr(eval(parse(text="function() TRUE")[[1]]), "source")
[1] "function() TRUE"

 > # we can assign bogus "source"
 > attr(this.is.R, "source") <- "a totally bogus function body"
 > this.is.R
a totally bogus function body
 > # assigning to body() removes "source"
 > body(this.is.R) <- list(666)
 > this.is.R
function ()
666
 > attr(this.is.R, "source")
NULL

An even better approach might be something that gave a warning on printing
if the parsed "source" attribute was not identical to the language object
being printed.  This would probably belong in the code for "case LANGSXP:"
in the function PrintValueRec in main/print.c (if it were written in R, I
could contribute a patch, but right now I don't have time to try to
understand the C there.)  R code to do the test could be something like this:

 > f <- this.is.R
 > identical(f, eval(parse(text=attr(f, "source"))[[1]]))
[1] FALSE
 > f <- function() TRUE
 > identical(f, eval(parse(text=attr(f, "source"))[[1]]))
[1] TRUE

-- Tony Plate