[R] providing a variable as a parameter in a function

Subramanian Karthikeyan Subramanian_Karthikeyan at hc-sc.gc.ca
Wed Oct 22 21:15:13 CEST 2003

Thanks John,

Your solution worked..

After i posted my message I tried sth else which also worked...

I tried this:

for (i in 3:cnum) {
      fla = as.formula(paste((cnom[i],"~","Trt*Dose"))
      mod = lm(fla, data = x, contrasts = list(Trt = contr.sum, Dose =
contr.sum))
      an = Anova(mod,type = "III")
      print(an)
      }

but yours is a succint and nice solution.

Thanks again,
Karth.

                      John Fox
                      <jfox at mcmaster.ca        To:       "Subramanian Karthikeyan" <Subramanian_Karthikeyan at hc-sc.gc.ca>
                      >                        cc:       r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
                                               Subject:  Re: [R] providing a variable as a parameter in a function
                      2003-10-22 02:24
                      PM

Dear Subramanian,

How about this:

         for (y in df[, 3:5]) {
                 mod = lm(y ~ Trt*Dose, data = x, contrasts = list(Trt =
contr.sum, Dose = contr.sum))
                 Anova(mod, type = "III")
                 }

Does that give you what you want?