[R] "aliases" for R constructs?

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Wed Oct 22 16:36:52 CEST 2003

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Patrick Burns wrote:

> Simon Fear wrote:
>

> >3. I have a very old brown-covered book describing macros in
> >the S language (version 1? I don't have it to hand to check).
> >When and why did they disappear? (Hoping John Chambers
> >is reading this.)
> >

> Pretty much the same reason that you don't grind your flour
> by hand with a stone.

Well, many very civilised languages have macros (not the #define things,
but ones that work on parsed expressions).  Lazy evaluation lets us
do most of the same things, but not all.   If we had a compiler there
would probably be more interest in macros, as then there would be a
distinction between compile-time and run-time evaluation.

	-thomas