[R] selecting subsets of data from matrix

Jason Turner jasont at indigoindustrial.co.nz
Mon Oct 20 23:04:17 CEST 2003

Laura Quinn wrote:

> Thanks for your help everyone,
>
> My data is a matrix. However if i use the command:
>
> x[(x[,20] > 315 | x[,20] < 45), ]
>
> and then request a summary, I get a warning message saying that a large
> number of the row names have been duplicated - I don't understand this?

If x is the original matrix, and subx is the subseted matrix
(x[(x[,20] > 315 | x[,20] < 45), ])  ...

Do you get this warning message when you type summary(x)?

If you're not explicitly using the rownames for anything other than
labeling, it can be safely ignored.  Duplicate rownames are a bit
strange to R, but they're not illegal in matricies.

Cheers

Jason
--
Indigo Industrial Controls Ltd.