[R] How to upgrade R

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 20 14:52:02 CEST 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Liaw, Andy wrote:

> What I do is to separate packages that shipped with R separate from other
> contributed packages from CRAN, so that when I upgrade, I can wipe clean the
> old R and re-install while keeping all other packages in place.
>
> What's not clear to me is a good way of keeping two versions of R
> simultaneously (for ease of transition).  Can anyone suggest a good strategy
> for doing that on *nix?

What I do is to have them installed in different dirs, and have links to
the bin/R files in my ~/bin directory, called names like R1.7.1, Rpat,
Rdev.  And I have

gannet% cat ~/.Renviron
R_LIBS=/users/ripley/R/library

so all of them can see the contributed packages I have installed (which is
fine except where those get to be version-specific when I normally install
in the main library tree).

That may not be a good idea.  At least those using saved images need to be
reinstalled because of changes in the methods package, and the help
translations have been improved.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk