[R] How to upgrade R

Torsten Hothorn Torsten.Hothorn at rzmail.uni-erlangen.de
Mon Oct 20 13:51:16 CEST 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, michael watson (IAH-C) wrote:

> Hi
>
> I wondered what the standard procedure was for upgrading from one version of R to the next.  I currently have R 1.7.1 and want the latest release, R 1.8.0.  I am running SUSE linux 8.2.  The main thing is that I want to keep all of the libraries that I have installed for R 1.7.1 without having to re-install them.
>
> I tried the rpm but that didn't really work :-(
>
> I then tried installing from source and that worked.  I then copied my library/ folder across to the new installation, but now I get lots of error messages along the lines of:
>
> Error in grep("\\w", platform) : 5 arguments passed to "grep" which requires 6.
>
> So, my question being, how do I upgrade from R version 1.7.1 to R 1.8.0 and keep all of my libraries intact?

You should not install your packages to the library path of R itself but
to something like `$HOME/lib/R' and tell R about it (via the R_LIBS
environment variable, see section 4 of R Installation and Administration).

Note that in contrast recommended packages may be installed in R's install
directory and that is what's happens by default.

Best,

Torsten