[R] Re: win.metafiles in linux and R

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 20 13:15:46 CEST 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 ucgamdo at ucl.ac.uk wrote:

> I posted a similar query some months ago. Some people answered stating that
> win.metafiles were not available for R in linux. However, I was suggested
> to use the package RSvgDevice, which allows transforming any graphic device
> into Scalable Vector Graphics format, this file can then be opened with
> sodipodi, and really impresive stuff can be achieved. I also noticed that
> OpenOffice for linux has an option to open win.metafiles, so it seems that
> they are in theory available for linux!

Code to *read* them is more widely available than to *write* them.
Can sodipodi output wmf/emf?

Note that libEMF's help page says

  It is also possible now to generate EMF files from PSTOEDIT on POSIX
  systems. Therefore, if your graphics code only outputs PostScript, you
  can now easily convert it to EMF.

but that is only true on Windows (unfortunately).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk