[R] monitoring a real-time event stream in R

Marsland, John John.Marsland at CommerzbankIB.com
Thu Oct 16 15:54:54 CEST 2003

I have a real-time event stream which I need to monitor in R. I have not
done any work in this area before and would welcome any input from anybody
who has experience in this area.

I have some code to monitor this event stream in C++. I was proposing to
extend this to include <Rdefines.h> and use the .Call() function.

My idea is to create an R variable through SEXP, PROTECT it and return
control of the main thread to R and establish a separate thread updating the
R variable on events from my datastream ... is R thread-safe? ... are there
any obvious flaws in this strategy?

Any thoughts about how to use the GNU thread library would also be useful.

Does anybody have a better ideas?

Regards,

John