[R] updating via CRAN and http

Arne.Muller@aventis.com Arne.Muller at aventis.com
Wed Oct 8 16:25:13 CEST 2003

Hello,

thanks for the tips on updating packages for 1.8.0. The updating is a real
problem for me, since I've to do it sort of manually using my web-browser or
wget. I'm behind a firewall that requires http/ftp authentification (username
and passwd) for every request it sends to a server outside our intranet.
Therefore all the nice tools for automatic updating (cran, cpan ...) don't
for me (I've tried).

I understand that the non-paranoid rest of the world can't be bothered, but
is there any intenstion to include such authentification into the update
procedures of R? I think for ftp it's kind of tricky, but at least for http
the authentification seems to be straight forward.

	kind regards,

	Arne