[R] Installing R with all packages

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Tue Oct 7 11:35:35 CEST 2003

Christian Hennig <fm3a004 at math.uni-hamburg.de> writes:

> I want R to be installed on a UNIX network (Solaris). I am not the system
> administrator and so I cannot do it myself.
> The system administrator wants to know which packages I want, and it may be
> a lot.
> Is there an easy way to download and install all packages at once?
> Is it a good idea? (There is a good chance that I do not need the some
> few packages that do not install well during such a procedure, and so I would
> like to tell the sysadmin to do it even if it will not be 100% successful).

Others have commented on how to do it outside of R.  If you end up
being able to do it within R, consider the following hack'd function:

installNewCRANPackages <- function() {
  test2 <-  packageStatus()$avail["Status"]
  install.packages(row.names(test2)[which(test2$Status=="not installed")])
}

best,
-tony

--
rossini at u.washington.edu            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/
Biomedical and Health Informatics   University of Washington

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachme...{{dropped}}